Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Dream

I was walking through the deep woods at night. Though my friends were around, it was still frightening. The entire forest was a dark, greyish blue, the trees were leafless, and stuck out of the ground like boney, monstrous... Well, dead trees, and the entire ground was covered in a thin fog. 
But it wasn't the future monsters I was quite afraid of. It was the past monsters, and the monsters growing inside me. Earlier I had been bitten by a werwolf. It wasn't part of the dream, but I knew it had happened, as if the dream had turned on in the middle of the scene, and the first thing I saw was myself running from it, my brother by my side. 
I knew right then and there that my death was necessary. If I didn't kill myself on this night, I would be doomed to walk the land and kill others. Maybe even keep the curse going. Sort of reminds you of American Werwolf In London, doesn't it? I think that's where this part of the dream came from. 
Anyway, there I was. As my family stood and watched, I awaited my death. A certain friend of mine was holding the rifle just yards from me, my friends and family standing behind him. I can't quite remember who this friend of mine was, but it my dream I'm quite sure I was very familiar with him. 
I closed my eyes. He told me to count backwards from sixteen. 
I was frightened. 
"16, 15..." Was he going to shoot before I got to zero?
"14, 13..." I didn't know if I was ready. What if it hurt? What if he shot too soon?
"12, 11, 10..." I didn't want him to shoot before zero. I didn't want him to deny my last seconds of life.
"9, 8..." I heard them discussing it. Shoot me now or at zero?
"7, 6, 5..." I cringed. The way I would awaiting a punch from my brother.
"4, 3..." I knew it! He was going to shoot too soon!
"2, 1..." He didn't! All that worrying was for nothing! 
"0." BANG! He shot. 
It was surprisingly not painful. Like pulling off a band-aid. All the worrying was for nothing. 
I suddenly found myself lifting up. I opened my eyes, just to see a crane shot of the dark forest fade away. It turned to black, and the credits came on, like some sort of movie. I was surprised. I wasn't expecting to witness the credits. Especially after I was already dead.

No comments: